Get Prepared This Cold & Flu Season
Posted on 2016-11-08
Cold and flu season is here so you need to prepare you and your family. Heres a good list to help you get prepared and ready to fight off those nasty cold and flu germs.
- Get a flu shot (Fluzone) - It may seem like a hassle to fit it into your busy schedule but one of the best ways to keep the flu away from your house is to make sure everyone in your family gets vaccinated. It's a no-brainer.
- Stock up - Load up on tissues, hand soap, hand sanitizer, and paper towels. Make sure you have enough pain relievers, decongestants, antihestimines (Benadryl), and anything else like cough supressants (Nyquil, Robitussin, honey, etc.) you think you might need so you dont have to travel and put others at risk of contracting the flu/cold from you. This also means easy to prepare meals for lunches and dinners in case you need to rest and recover without doing a bunch of cooking.
- Wash your hands - Everyday, several times a day with soap and warm to hot water at least long as 20 seconds. Tell your kids to wash their hands as long as it takes to sing "twinkle twinkle little star."
- Have hand sanitizer everywhere - Make it visable around the house so it can serve as a reminder to use hand sanitizer all throughout the day. And make sure it is at least 60% alcohol.
- Brush up on your companys sick day policy - You might need to take a sick day or two. Or you might need to take care of your sick kids. Make sure you know how many sick days you can take and what the policy for unpaid days off is.
- Have backup - You might need others to help you out. See if any family members can watch the kids if they're home sick or ask a close family friend to take the kids to soccer practice if you are out sick.
- Disinfect - You don't need to go crazy, but you should disinfectant heavily touched items like doorknobs, remote controls, phones, and toys everyday.
- Rest - Whether you are trying to recover from having a cold or flu, or trying to avoid getting it, getting plenty of sleep is one of the best ways for your body to fight germs. Naps are also a great help too.